All about the work permit

Today, Canada is among the countries in the world where foreign workers and business people have great opportunities.

However, individuals from certain countries require a work permit. For more information on whether a work permit is required, follow this link.

Work Permit Categories in Canada

Temporary Workers

In this category we have 2 types of work permits. Employer-specific work permit or closed work permit This type of work permit provides you with the opportunity to work in Canada based on the conditions of your permit. Among these conditions, we have:
  • The name of your employer for whom you must work,
  • The duration of your employment contract,
  • Where you may work (if any)
In order to apply for a closed work permit, your employer must be involved. They must provide you with certain information that will be kept on file, such as:
  • Copy of the letter of employment or employment contract
  • Any of the following:
    • Copy of a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA);
    • For workers excluded from the LMIA, a job offer number.

Open Work Permit

However, this kind of permit allows you to work anywhere in Canada and for any employer, with the exception of the following employers:

  • A non-qualifying employer on the list of employers that did not meet the conditions.
  • An employer who offers escort services, erotic massages, nudity and erotic dance activities.

Work permit for businesspeople.

The temporary admission of certain classes of skilled entrepreneurs to the World Trade Organization (WTO) has been facilitated by the General Agreement on Trade in Services (GATS).

Your employer could be exempt from receiving a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) if you come to Canada as part of the GATS.

Categories of business individuals concerned:

1 – Trade Visitors:           

  • Participate in conferences, business meetings or exhibitions.
  • Acquisition of Canadian goods and services.

It is important to note that these visitors are not eligible for entry into the Canadian labour market.

2-   Professionals:            

Under the GATS, a professional is for anyone who comes to Canada to work for a foreign company under a service contract. There are certain conditions that have to be met.

3- People transferred within a corporation.

This category includes persons who are transferred within a corporation and transferred to a company abroad to work in the same corporation or a related corporation in Canada.

Should you still have any doubts about your case, please contact us and be accompanied by a professional from our office.

Shopping Basket